BLACK Version is a new version of weapons and armor introduced in the February 3rd update in 2015 of SAS: Zombie Assault 4. Being extremely powerful compared to even weapons and armor, these can only drop in Black strongboxes, which themselves are hard to find. These Black strongboxes additionally require hard-to-get Black Keys to open them, so weapons and armor are currently rare among players. Black Strongboxes can be collected in any game mode, though they are most common in Nightmare Mode. They can also be collected by acquiring augment XP(Flash Exclusive Feature). Keys have a 5% chance to drop from Nanotium Strongboxes in Nightmare Mode, and a 0.1-0.5 chance to drop from Nanotium Boxes found in Events. Both Strongboxes and Keys can be bought for Faction Credits and any Planetary Favours in the Faction Warfare Armory. Strongboxes and Keys can only be obtained after LV 25. You can see how many Keys and Strongboxes you have obtained in the Elite Inventory located on the Menu.
- weapons are 1.5 times as powerful as ones in terms of damage and DOT.
- armor compared to armor has triple the defensive stats, plus a defense bonus of 100 in all three resistances. Due to this, an HVM Kevlar Vest in its version is tougher than the Rubicon Hardplate Chest in its version, even though the Kevlar Vest is the second weakest vest in the game, and the Hardplate Chest is the strongest one.
- ammo costs 1.2 times as much as ammo or 12 times the cost of normal ammo. Similarly, HD ammo costs 4.8 times as much as HD ammo or 48 times the cost of normal HD ammo.
- All pieces of equipment feature a white ring split in half vertically, with the exception of most Smokestack weapons.
- On Rancor weapons, the smaller 2 semicircles inside the bigger ones are replaced with a glowing white Rancor skull logo.
- All weapons also have three white stripes except the RIA T40.
- weapons can sell for a maximum of $10,000 (as is the case with weapons).
- There were no pistols until a major patch on October 5th, 2015. Now there are only 4 pistols: Ronson 45, Poison Claw, Mustang, and Trailblazer.
- Interestingly, unlike pistols whose standard ammo needs purchasing, Ronson 45 & . The Mustang in the mobile edition have free unlimited standard ammo. Their High Damage Ammo as well as Ammo for other 2 pistols still requires purchasing.
- Championship reward weapons do not have a normal or version.
- Most weapons in mobile uses PC sprite (e.g. Hotspot). A notable exception would be Shotlite weapons. Interestingly, when one receives a weapon in mobile, the mobile sprite will appear for a split second after opening the box before turning into the PC sprite. Again, Shotlite weapons are the exception.